- Family History e-resources
- Family History Research Guides
- Useful websites for Family Historians
BRISBANE CEMETERIES https://graves.brisbane.qld.gov.au/
FAMILY SEARCH (Records of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints LDS) www.familysearch.org
- Free site to look up Parish Records of Baptism, Marriage, Burial in UK. Not all records are here – they are transcribed by volunteers. These give a good lead to follow up by viewing the original on Find My Past or Ancestry or Family Search or My Heritage sites.
- Free site to look up Births, Deaths and Marriages in UK AFTER September 1837. This site is transcribed by volunteers, so it is an ongoing project. This will give you a good lead to look up the BMD on the UK General Registry Office.
UK GENERAL REGISTRY OFFICE
- Free search, but you must register first. Only Births and Deaths in UK after September 1837 are available. Birth records show MAIDEN name of mother, which is helpful to identify the correct birth. Death records show AGE when known. Records searched in +/- 2 year increments.
SOME QLD SHIPPING PASSENGER LISTS: http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/mig-qld1.htm
QUEENSLAND STATE ARCHIVES: http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/
Including ship passenger lists; land orders (land issued to immigrants); passports; naturalisations
- Schools, hospitals and orphanages
Including admission registers for many state schools; health and healthcare records; admission and other records for orphanages and reformatories
Including wills; divorces; inquests; insolvency; police gazettes
Including registers of lands; pastoral holdings; leases; maps
Including state electoral rolls; civil servants; imperial pensions
Search the archives
ArchivesSearch provides access to QSA’s collection of records, including documents, letters, land orders, maps, plans and images. For help searching, read the
GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY OF QUEENSLAND:
The Blog of the Genealogical Society of Queensland Inc – https://gsq-blog.gsq.org.au/
Some interesting Blog Posts
- Family and house history discovered Under the Lino – https://gsq-blog.gsq.org.au/family-and-house-history-discovered-under-the-lino/
- Will your photos be sold? – https://gsq-blog.gsq.org.au/will-your-photos-be-sold/ which led to this Adding a citation to an image – https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2016/03/17/repeat-an-image-citation-how-to/
Check out Judy Webster’s site. Judy is a very experienced long-time researcher and genealogist. http://www.judywebster.com.au
- Index to Deaths and Obituaries in Australian newspapers
Trove – The National Library of Australia has digitised many thousands of newspapers already. Check them out and find your family at: http://trove.nla.gov.au
Families in British India Society Database: http://www.fibis.org/
Graham Jaunay – What will you find on an Australian BDM certificate?
http://www.aftc.com.au/Links/BDMs.html Links to: BDM Certificates, Costs, Details and Online Searches
Our program of free webinars focuses on the wonderful resources of the NSW State Archives collection and how to access them. Register to ‘attend’ a live webinar – you’ll receive an email with a link that you click on at the appointed time.